The history of Power Industry in the West Azerbaijan
Around 1926 (1305
in Persian calendar), One of the most
famous and brainy investors named Mohammad
Hossein Dilmaghani, after taking a trip to Germany, began to wonder about installing a power plant in Urmia. Due
to large amount of water that could be found in Urmia, he brought a small
hydraulic turbine along With a German technician to Urmia. The turbine started working
by force of a watermill. After setting up
the power turbine and training an Iranian technician named Mostafa Sarafraz, the German expert went back to his country. The 40kw hydraulic turbine was installed in a region known
as Hang Akhgar. This turbine had been using for carpentry on days and delivering
light at nights. Studying the first installed power generators in Iranian
cities, the Urmia turbine seems to be the first hydraulic power generator across
As the elders
say, the power generated had been using in Urmia old town neighborhoods like Askarkhan,
Balo darvazasi, Haft Asiab ,Bazarbash, Bozular Choghori, Jharchibash, Manare mosque, Ghapan, Jami mosque , … .
30 years after installing the first
diesel power plant in Tehran in 1905, the first diesel power plant by 110kw
capacity was installed in Urmia by Hajh Ghafar and started to deliver power to
customers. Adding some generators, the capacity raised up to 1700kws.
Urmia municipality installed another
1500kw power plant in 1961 and provided another part of the city with
electricity. In the meantime power plants were installed in other cities across
the province. A 30kw small power plant was established in Mahabad. It seems
that before the earthquake, there would be a small power plant in Salmas but
the official one mentioned in documents, returns to 1947.
So Urmia, Maku, Khoy, Salmas, Naghade,
Mahabad, Miandoab and Boukan had power plants but as the power demand was
growing, they failed to cope with the new demands. After establishing Azerbaijan
regional power company, the private sector and municipality plants were
delivered to this company.
The Azerbaijan power company started
to develop new power plants and planned new transmission and distribution
networks to deliver reliable electricity to its customers. Standard networks based on technical
principles replaced old grids.
In 1973, when the 132kv line around Urmia
lake got completed, 132/20 kv substations in Urmia, Salmas, Khoy, Mahabad,
Miandoab and Naghade were installed and went under load; so the west Azerbaijan
electricity grid was connected to the national grid. At the late 1979, Urmia
gas power plant of 2*30MW and operation capacity of 2*22 MW was established and
came into operation in 1981. This power plant has been responding to a part of
the electricity demand in the region as well as improving voltage stability in
the 132kv line. Also there is khoy combined cycle power plant consisting two
steam and gas parts, which has been operating since 1998. This power plant, with
2 gas units of 133.4 MW and operating capacity of 2*115 MW has entered to the
network and is utilized as BASE after the gas station has been set up. Since
August 1992, the west Azerbaijan electric power distribution company (as the
first distribution utility in the country) started its activity for power
delivery in the urban and rural areas as well as operation and maintenance of
the power networks across the province.